Asian Americans are numerous and important to Georgia. However, Asian Americans consistently have the lowest percentage voter turnout of any group in our state which results in under-representation and a lack of political power. AALAC believes much of the low voter turnout is connected to the discomfort many community members experience at the polls due to their limited English proficiency, or to their inability to take off work. AALAC has embarked on an absentee voting campaign to educate Georgians on the ease of voting from home, and has provided absentee voting pamphlets in multiple languages.
To vote from home, you must first register to vote. The deadline to register to vote is October 9, 2012 for the November 6nd elections.
To be eligible to vote in Georgia you must be:
• A citizen of the United States
• A legal resident of Georgia and of the county in which you wish to vote
• At least 18 years of age by Election Day
• Not serving any sentence imposed by the conviction of a felony
• Not judicially determined to be mentally incompetent
It takes about 2-4 weeks to get your registration card and be registered to vote. Please click here to register to vote online.
You can request an absentee ballot in two ways:
1. By an application online OR
2. Written request by mail. You may fax or mail the letter/form to the county registrar or absentee ballot clerk in order to receive the ballot by mail.
DeKalb County Election Supervisor
Memorial Drive Complex
4380 Memorial Drive, Suite 300
Decatur, GA 30032-1239
Fax: (404) 298-4038
Gwinnett County Election Supervisor
455 Grayson Highway, Suite 200
75 Langley Drive (mailing address)
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
Fax: (678) 226-7208
Fulton County Election Supervisor
141 Pryor Street SW, Suite 4075
Atlanta, GA 30303-3460
Fax: (404) 730-7024
Fully complete and sign the ballot, and return the ballot by mail or in-person to the county registrar’s office by Nov. 6, 2012.
Copies of the absentee voting pamphlets are below. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need additional assistance.