This Sunday is the last Sunday to Register to Vote — Asking your Temple or Church to GOTV!
This is the last Sunday to register people to vote — have you asked your Temple or Church to help you get out the vote?
It may seem counter-intuitive to some, but doing voter registration at your place of worship is one of the best and easiest ways to engage people on the importance of voting and conduct voter registration! AALAC and its partners have conducted multiple voter registration drives at different places of worship throughout metro-Atlanta and have registered more than a 100 people from these locations alone — and we plan on doing it again this Sunday!
Asking your faith leader is simple. Remember you are offering to provide a community service that is free of politics and builds power for good for our communities! We recommend making the following three asks:
1. Will you allow me to do some voter registration after service?
2. Will you please include an announcement in the written bulletin?
3. Can you please make an Announcement during service about the importance of voting?
Our suggested announcement / talking points is below.
- This is the last Sunday you can register to vote for the November 6th US Presidential Election. The deadline to register is Tuesday, October 9th.
- I want to urge you all to register to vote. It wasn’t that long ago when the right to vote was limited to White men. The fight to establish the right to vote for all citizens actually started with religious leaders, most notably the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.
- More than a thousand Blacks and others in the South were arrested, beaten and some killed in 1964 for trying to register to vote. Reverend King and other faith leaders led a march in Selma, Alabama to fight this discrimination and 5 months later, the Voting Rights Act was passed in America. The movement was one led truly by faith.
- Let’s not forget the struggles of the thousands of people who stood in their dignity to cast a ballot. Let’s also look forward and vote to secure the future of our community and children.
- [INSERT YOUR NAME OR NAME OF GROUP] is standing outside with voter registration and other forms to assist you today. Let’s do our part to participate in the country we live in by voting.